Industry Focus: High Volume, Pick-Pack-Ship Distribution
Todays business environment demands fulfillment of high volume, small size orders on a regular basis. Additional customer specific demands such as special processing, packaging, shipment mode and carrier selection and routing, makes the distribution process extremely complex. Stat9 WMS Utility is a specialized tool to make the distribution operations more efficient and cost effective, under such conditions.
Planning, Execution and Measurement Tool
The key function of Stat9 WMS Utility is to be a planning, execution and measurement tool for distribution managers. It provides enhanced visibility of the inbound and outbound process, thereby enabling better planning of resources at the warehouse. A powerful task manager automates the operational tasks and optimizes the utilization of manpower, space and material handling equipment. Managers are provided with time records of all tasks at user and group level, enabling benchmarking and productivity based compensation.
Multiple Site, Global Distribution Network
Stat9 WMS Utility is designed for global companies, with a worldwide distribution network. It supports multiple warehouses attached to subsidiaries and third party logistics service providers. A combination of corporate-wide and location specific business rules provides an ideal blend of standard processes integrated with location specific procedures. It supports multiple languages, system configurations and business systems, across a global distribution framework. It is very scaleable. It can be configured to run on separate application and database servers for a single warehouse having large volume of operations or on a single server for multiple, low volume warehouses.
Business Rules-Based Operations
Stat9 WMS Utility offers tremendous flexibility to rapidly respond to changing business needs. A full suite of business rules enables companies to tailor processes to cater to current and local requirements. The entire distribution operation is governed by rules set up at the corporate, warehouse, vendor, customer, task and SKU levels. These can be re-configured to meet future growth and change. Optimization of Warehousing and Transportation A very distinctive feature of Stat9 WMS Utility is the optimization across the warehousing and transportation functions. A greater level of efficiency and service is possible by enabling visibility and planning beyond the four walls of a warehouse.
This provides true integration of processes over the inbound and outbound sections of the supply chain. Challenges in Managing High Volume Distribution High volume, pick-pack-ship distribution poses several challenges to the warehousing, distribution and logistics professionals. Very sophisticated and flexible systems are required to manage these challenges effectively and gain a competitive edge in the marketplace. Some of the most important challenges facing companies in this environment are:
Improve Inventory Accuracy
* Track in-transit inbound inventory from vendor/manufacturing unit/third party service provider/distribution center
* Enhance visibility of inventory in the warehouse by location, quality status, product class, lot, country of origin, FIFO date, etc.
* Maintain control over inventory during various processes during its stay at the warehouse
* Implement perpetual inventory control through a process of rules based cycle counting
Enhance Shipment Accuracy
* Implement checks and controls on the outbound operations to validate accuracy at appropriate points
* Leverage enabling technologies such as bar-coding, radio frequency and advanced material handling equipment to enhance accuracy without loosing productivity
* Track outbound goods to customer by carrier/consignment/shipping container
Enhance Customer Service Levels
* Reduce order fulfillment time
* Service fill in type of orders
* Provide value added services such as special ticketing, labeling, packaging
* Send ASN for outbound consignments through EDI
* Select shipment mode, carrier and shipment dates based on customer specific requirements
* Provide enhanced order tracking capabilities
* Process returns faster
Improve Resource Utilization
* Manage human resources, equipment, space, docks in an efficient, integrated manner based on business rules and constraints
* Respond in real-time in reassigning resources to cater to rapidly changing requirements
* Reduce time spent in managing mundane operational issues without loosing control or productivity Reduce Operating Costs
* Reduce operating costs without lowering customer service levels
* Manage greater operational complexity without increasing costs
* Perform Value-Added Services before Distribution
* Provide customized kitting and packaging services by customer
* Provide special ticketing, labeling, consolidation, quality control and shipment functions based on customer specific requirements
Rapidly Respond to Changing Business Needs
* Reassign resources and tasks easily to meet rapidly changing business requirements
* Respond in real-time without loosing productivity, increasing costs or lowering customer service
* Re-deploy resources in real-time to meet last minute, customer demands
* Reassign tasks to optimize packaging and shipment operations
Operate in a Global Environment
* Increase visibility to plan receipts for inbound goods from multiple global locations
* Maintain inventory visibility and reporting capability to operate free trade zone warehouses
* Reduce costs and delays while operating in multiple global source and destination environment
* Manage country specific source requirements on outbound consignments
* Provide relevant documentation for inbound and outbound consignments
* Integrate with Enterprise and Extended Enterprise
* Integrate with multiple third party systems within and outside the enterprise to enable supply chain visibility information visibility and
* Use bar code and radio frequency technology to enhance accuracy, speed and support on-line, real-time inventory
* Manage various material handling equipment in conjunction with other tasks to optimize operations
* Leverage distributed computing technology to manage multiple sites and remote locations
Distribution Best Practices Supported by Stat9 WMS Utility. Stat9 WMS Utility supports several best practices that are energizing distribution operations of companies that operate in a high volume, pick-pack-ship environment.
Stat9 WMS Utility facilitates companies to comply with customer specific order fulfillment requirements. It directs operators to perform a sequence of tasks based on customer specific business rules. It recommends specific packaging, labeling, special ticketing, and other value-added operations for each customer order. It supports customer specific shipping requirements such as customer appointments, carrier selection, economic shipment loads and day of week shipments. It leverages bar code, radio frequency, EDI and modern material handling technologies to provide rapid and accurate order fulfillment operations.